Monday, August 25, 2008

Hard Times and Great Blessings

Today, we welcome Kenneth F. Worth (Ken) to our writing blog. He is discussing his book Hard Times and Great Blessings–the story of my life. Ken will be joining us on Writers in the Sky Podcast August 29, 2008.


The youngest of two children, Kenneth F. Worth was born in Neptune, New Jersey, in 1939. Orphaned at age eleven, Worth grew up in the Jersey Shore area and overcame many trials. He went on to earn an MBA degree in Management from Fairleigh Dickinson University and worked for over thirty-five years as a successful manager.

About the book:

Journey with author Kenneth F. Worth as he faces hard times and great blessings. His has been a road made rough by many adversities, including the tragic death of his parents at age eleven, a year in Vietnam and an array of serious physical challenges. Yet Worth insists that he is a blessed man who sees life as a challenge to be met head-on and as an opportunity to make a difference. Here Worth lays out his tragedy and triumph for everyone to see. His story will renew your faith and your optimism. You will feel new hope and courage to live your life to the full. You will be aware of God's blessings. Come and share the experience!

YVONNE PERRY: Tell me something about yourself and your writing background.
KEN WORTH: My life is pretty much an open book now that I have put it in writing for all the world to see. I had a normal early childhood and then in one second my whole life fell apart and was full of hardships. That is spelled out pretty well in the book. But then my life was also filled with God's blessings. I can look back and see God's hand in my life repeatedly over the years. I am truly blessed. As far as my writing background, I didn't have any. I had a story to tell and this is my way of telling it. I pray that it will be a blessing to those who read it.

YVONNE: What is the title of your book? Give us the basic story line so we’ll know what it’s about.
KEN: The basic storyline is to chronicle my life and draw the reader into the experiences with me, to see both the hardships and blessings that I have been through. The book shows that you can be blessed and be a blessing through the many hardships of life. You have to play the cards you are dealt but you can enjoy the game and be an inspiration to the other players.

YVONNE: What inspired you to write this book?
KEN: It was a story—a true story—that was crying out through me to be told. It is a story of God's faithfulness. The first chapter draws the readers in. It is emotionally charged and most people tear up while reading parts of it and are blessed throughout—especially at the end.

YVONNE: Is this the first book you have written?
KEN: Yes. I never even considered writing a book. I honestly did not believe I could write one. I didn't think I had it in me. But once I started, I got into it and enjoyed it. And I feel good because I think It will be a blessing and inspiration to many. Initial feedback is good. Some are reading it cover to cover almost without stopping and many can relate to specific parts of the book. I am very satisfied with the final product.

YVONNE: How long did it take to write this book? Any interesting tidbits about your writing method or how the book developed?
KEN: I remember that I started writing this book on Jan 1, 2008. It was published on 14 May 2008. That is 4 ½ months. Once I started, I pretty well kept at it full time until it was completed. Everything went on or before schedule. Of course having a good publisher helped too.

YVONNE: How did you publish your book? Tell me about your publishing experience and what you learned from it.
KEN: My publishing experience was a good one from beginning to end. I used Outskirts Press, a POD (Print On Demand) company. Since I had no experience with publishing, I needed someone who could help me along the way. Outskirts did that very well and printed an excellent quality book. Through the process I learned that I could do it. And that it was actually easier than I thought.

YVONNE: Did you work with an agent? If so, how did you find the agent? Was it beneficial to you?
KEN: I never even considered an agent. My main concern was getting the book into the hands of people who need it – to make a difference if you will. I was not looking to make a lot of money on the book. However, the book has to sell to get it in people’s hands, so I'm thinking about where to go from here. Of course, it has only been published about two months so it is still early.

YVONNE: Where is your book available? Do you have a Web site or blog where we can learn more about you or your book?
KEN: The book is available online basically worldwide. The best place to get it either in paperback or e-book is from my book website at http://www.outskirtspress.com/hardtimes. Of course you can order it through any bookstore using the ISBN: 9781432723088. Or Google it!

YVONNE: As far as marketing, do you do more online publicity or print/radio/TV promotion? Tell me some ways you have promoted your book. Give examples and links to any sites you feel might help other authors.
KEN: The book is still so new and I am still just getting into the marketing thing. But I am mostly into online and radio venues I am working on marketing strategies given out by Outskirts Press. This podcast is an example and I am working toward other interviews and am networking with other authors to pick their brains. Quite honestly, I have no budget at this point for marketing, so except for review copies of my book and a few incidental costs I am perusing basically free opportunities at this time.

YVONNE: Have you hired a publicist to help promote this book? If so, what was your experience like?
KEN: I have no plans to hire a publicist at this time.

YVONNE: Any other comment you would like to share?
KEN: Yes, don't be afraid of the publishing system. You can do a lot more than you think you can. Everyone has story or as passion–go for it!

YVONNE: Thank you for giving us the opportunity to get to know you and learn about your book. I wish you well in your journey as an author.
KEN: Thanks to you and Writers in the Sky for the opportunity to come here and be interviewed. I really enjoyed it.

********************************
Listening to Writers in the Sky Podcast on a computer is easy. Just click this link: http://yvonneperry.blogspot.com/ and go to my blog.On the right sidebar there is a list of archived shows. Click on the interview you would like to hear and it will open a post that has a link to the audio file.

1 comment:

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Wow! First of all congratulations, Yvonne. I hear that you won the Brillante Weblog Premio Award. Nominated by Nikki Leigh. Way to go!

I know because she also nominated my The New Book Review (www.thenewbookreviewblog.com). I view that blog as a service for writers, a way for them to extend exposure for their books. But it is also a service to reviewers who recycle their favorite reviews and for readers who just want to speak out on books they love.

So, what fun this is, Yvonne! See you on Twitter!

Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers.
www.howtodoitfrugally.com