Saturday, December 26, 2009

Mailing Books the Green $ Way

This might seem like a break from the writing, publishing, and book marketing theme of this blog, but keep reading and in a moment you will see how it relates to authors who mail a lot of books and want to save money on padded mailers.

Whenever an author asks someone to review a book, it's considered a common courtesy to send the reviewer a copy of the book. While it's more green and cost-effective to simply email the reviewer a PDF of the book, many people want a printed copy. Well, I can't save you any money on that end, but here's a way to saving money on padded mailing envelopes—that is if you don't mind spending a little time and creative energy on a craft project.

I got this idea from the Earth Heros on Threadbangers.com when they featured a video "How to Fuse Plastic Bags into a Laptop Case." I made the laptop case, but decided I needed something with handles for carrying my laptop. Not being one to waste anything, I used the laptop case as a portfolio for the oversized original artwork from my illustrations used in The Sid Series ~ A Collection of Holistic Stories for Children.

Well, that led me to my next multi-purpose idea. Why not fuse plastic bags to make mailing envelopes for shipping my books? I had plenty of bags from the times that I forgot to take my canvas totes in the store with me, and those padded mailers are about a dollar each! Cha-ching! *light bulb on, money saving mode activated* I even used food packaging plastic. And, there's a used padded envelope that I had received when someone sent a book to me.



I get a lot of strange looks at the post office, and "duh" comments like, "Hey, that looks like a Target bag!" (Here's your sign from Bill Ingvall), but I think they turned out great.

What do you think?




Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Those are funky all right.

I get padded mailers from ESupply store online. 9x12 mailers are only 28 cents each, and that includes shipping. Not really green, but it does save money.

Katie Perry said...

We enjoy getting your packages in the mail. Keilie says it's a great way to recycle! I'd have to agree! :)

Barbara Techel said...

You know, I wondered about the mailer I got from you with your book in it. I thought it was so cool! And now that I know you made it... even cooler! You are the coolest, Yvonne! :)

Barbara Techel
Author of Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog Book Series
A collection of true, inspirational stories dedicated to bringing positive awareness to disabilities, facing our challenges with dignity and grace, and giving back in our own, unique way
Frankie on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/walknrolldog
National Disabled Pets on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/disabledpets.com
Joyful Paws on Twitter: http://www.joyfulpaws.com/joyfulpaws
http://www.joyfulpaws.com

Unknown said...

I'll have to check out ESupply to see what else they have, but I really like making the padded mailers. I made nine more yesterday.

Unknown said...

I'll show Keilie how to make them when she's here next week. You can actually make oversized (not padded) mailers from old manilla file folders and masking or duct tape.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Barbara. I need to get another copy of your second Frankie book for my grandkids. I can't give up my personal copy. Java and I must have Frankie right next to us in my office when we work. Yes, she works quite hard. She holds the carpet down.

Barbara Techel said...

Well that is a lovely compliment that you can't give up your personal copy of Frankie's book. :)
You cracked me up when you told me what Java's job is... holding down the carpet!!! I bet he is very good at it. Good dog, Java.

Barbara

Unknown said...

Java is a master carpet layer!

Barbara Techel said...

Maybe he could move to Wisconsin and John would hire him as a subcontractor for our flooring work. We'd pay him in plenty of yummy bones!

Barbara