Monday, February 05, 2007

Unexpected Perks for Freelance Writers

Unexpected Perks for Freelance Writers by Kate Garvey

There are many perks for freelance writers—the opportunity to do what you love, establish friendships with people who are creative and talented, work from home, make a decent living, and create work that is meaningful. Last month I was featured as a guest columnist in the Wisconsin State Journal. The article, “Madison needs an Animal Museum”, highlighted the atrocities humanity commits on sentient beings; animal experimentation, an annual death toll of 4 to 10 million pets due to overpopulation, abuse, neglect and the horrors of factory farming. As the daughter of a small town Veterinarian, preventing animal abuse has been a core issue throughout my life.

Before I began work as a freelance writer I had many dreams about how I could have an impact on the world, but my circle of influence was very small. As a freelance writer, I have the opportunity to touch the world regarding issues of concern.A second unexpected perk is the joy of working with people though out the world. Whether I’m ghost writing a book, documenting software modifications or working on a one page business bio, I love getting to know my clients. I’ve had the pleasure of working with people throughout the United States, Europe and China. My list of clients includes entertainers, business entrepreneurs, civic clubs, Harvard graduates, and “regular” people with fascinating stories. I am continually inspired by the lives of others and feel privileged to connect with so many people who have created their own small business, survived adversity, or succeeded by taking a risk. For a brief period of time, it’s as if I get to see someone’s soul. It’s truly an honor and a perk I never expected when I began my career.

No comments: