Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Interview with Tisha Morris author of 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home

Today we welcome Tisha Morris to our writing blog. She is discussing her book, 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home. Tisha is on a virtual tour from May 11 to June 11. When I first met Tisha, it felt like I already knew her, but as we chatted and listed places we frequent in Nashville, we could identify any place we had both been.

Tisha has already had a profound impact upon my life. Before I even finished reading her book or visited her blog, I embarked upon a cleaning and reorganizing frenzy as you will see in the photo of my freshly painted and reorganized laundry room. I guess I should warn you that her book has this kind of effect so you can prepare to get on your work clothes and bring some new energy into your home or workplace!

YVONNE PERRY: Tell me something about yourself and your writing background.
TISHA MORRIS: When I was in 8th grade, I knew I wanted to be a writer. I later decided that becoming an attorney would be the best way to give me writing credentials while making a decent living. What I didn’t plan on was not liking the practice of law.

So for the ten years following my first law job, I went on a self-discovery journey—from interior design school to teaching yoga—to figure out what I really wanted to do from my heart instead of my head.

Now those ten years have come full circle resulting in all aspects of myself—the attorney, the interior designer, the energy healer, and the author – coming together as part of my life purpose.

YVONNE: What is the title of your book? Give us the basic story line so we’ll know what it’s about.
TISHA: The title is 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home. It is inspired by a Chinese proverb that says, “If you want to change your life, move 27 things in your home.” This proverb speaks to the power of just how interrelated our energy is with the energy of our home.

I selected the 27 things that I have seen make the most impact on either me or my clients, ranging from aspects of decluttering to traditional feng shui techniques.

The 27 things are arranged in a logical order for someone who feels overwhelmed and doesn’t know where to begin with improving their home. That being said, anyone can pick up the book, flip to a page, and jump in.

YVONNE: What inspired you to write this book?
TISHA: For my very first feng shui workshop, I prepared endlessly and provided my particiants with tons of great information and inspiration. At the very end, one woman raised her hand and said, “What should we do first?” I thought that was such a great question and it became the cornerstone of my future workshops and then the inspiration for this book.

There is so much wonderful information out there, especially pertaining to feng shui, but we tend to get overwhelmed with where to start. So I wanted this book to be logically organized and written in a way that makes feng shui accessible and easy for anyone to understand and apply.

YVONNE: Is this the first book you have written?
TISHA: This is my first book to be published, although I have been working on another book for the past few years. It deals with the deeper metaphysical aspects of Feng Shui. I look forward to it being my second published book.

YVONNE: How long did it take to write this book? Do you have any interesting tidbits about your writing method or how the book developed?
TISHA: As I mentioned, I had been working on a different feng shui book for years and then out of nowhere 27 Things manifested. So many times we put a lot of energy into something. It comes back to us, but in a completely different form and even better than we could have imagined.

With 27 Things, it was so effortless that I don’t really even remember writing it. I do remember becoming quite a fixture at my local coffee shop. Then six months later when I picked up the advanced copy to read it, I thought, “Wow, this is really good.”

YVONNE: How did you publish your book? Tell me about your publishing experience and what you learned from it.
TISHA: I pitched a proposal to Turner Publishing to be part of their Good Things to Know series. I formulated a concept for the book by brainstorming in my “Ideas Journal” and within about 30 minutes I had my idea. Compared to writing I had done in the past, it came with little effort and I immediately knew that I was on to something. It just felt “right.” When I mailed my proposal, I experienced a moment of complete non-attachment to the outcome, but only because I knew in my heart that it would be accepted. It has become an excellent example for me of when things are in alignment and when things aren’t.

YVONNE: Where is your book available? Do you have a Web site or blog where we can learn more about you or your book?
TISHA: It is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. You can go to my Web site http://www.tishamorris.com/ for more information and links.

YVONNE: Any other comment you would like to share?
TISHA: The feedback I hear from people after reading 27 Things is that it has inspired them to take action on improving their home which in effect correlates to positive changes in their life. Ultimately, this is my goal for this book and the passion that underlies it.

YVONNE: I have certainly been inspired by reading the advance copy of your book. I've cleaned out, painted, and reorganized my laundry room and totally revamped my office workspace. As a result, I'm finding new energy flowing in and my intentions manifesting quicker. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to get to know you and learn about your book. I wish you well in your journey as an author.

Tisha's virtual tour is also visiting for
Day one of a five-day blast on Successful Woman, A Successful Woman
with an article titled "5 Steps to Clearing Clutter." Follow this blogger on Twitter: @monicadear


Tomorrow May 12 has two stops with
• Day two of a five-day blast on A Successful Woman will feature an article titled "The Art of Detaching From Our Stuff."

AND

Positively Present  shows readers "5 Steps to Clearing Clutter." Follow Dani on Twitter @positivepresent.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Tisha Morris said...

Laundry room looks great!

Shelagh said...

I agree - this is such a lovely book!

And I love her plan to follow through with all the suggestions.

This is a book that should have success for many years to come.