The Sid Series is a collection of body-mind-spirit stories that focus on life skills such as overcoming fear, helping others, being true to one’s self, following inner guidance, caring for the body, having self-worth, appreciating diversity, dealing with change, accepting pet death, being environmentally conscious, and using spiritual gifts.
Spending time with my grandson has opened communication about some pretty “adult” topics that many parents and teachers are hesitant to discuss with children. By sharing the stories in The Sid Series and through this art showcase, I hope to reinforce and enhance these and other life lessons.
The art showcase is NOT a contest. I don't believe children should be judged or rejected for their heart-felt creativity. Instead, every effort will be recognized and everyone's work will be included in an e-book that can be given away to anyone who wants it. Every participant will get a free copy of the e-book we create as an artistic community. I will also post here on this blog every story and piece of art turned in.
First, you have to be familiar with the lessons taught in The Sid Series. PDFs of individual stories are available for $3 each at http://TheSidSeries.com.The printed book is available on Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble,
Here's a list of Sid lessons:
- Sid’s Fairy ~ Learning about Inner Guidance teaches children to meditate and sense the small voice of guidance inside.
- A Stormy Adventure ~ Facing the Fear of Storms. How have you overcome your fear of storms or the fear of something else?
- The Pirate’s Treasure ~ Finding Treasure Within. What is the greatest treasure and where is it found? How did you find it?
- You Can Be! ~ Understanding Destiny and Making Choices. What would you like to be when you grow up?
- Ask Your Body ~ Understanding the Body’s Needs. Do you know what your body needs to be healthy? How are you helping meet your body’s needs?
- A Ghost in My Closet ~ Communicating with Angels. Have you ever seen or heard a ghost or angel? What did he or she say or do? Do you hear your inner guidance?
- A Powerful Potion ~ The Power of Imagination. Do you believe in magic? Have you ever witnessed a miracle?
- My Friend’s Skin ~ Accepting and Appreciating Diversity. Do you have friends of a race different than your own? What do you like best about that person? What have you done to show love to someone who is not like you?
- Puppy Love ~ Dealing with the Death of a Pet. Has a pet or someone you love died? What does it mean to die? Tell about your experience.
- Old Things New ~ Learning About Recycling. Do you recycle? What are you doing to keep the earth clean and safe?
- Always Be Honest ~ Learning to Tell the Truth. Have you ever told a lie? How did it make you feel? How did you resolve the situation?
- Making Room for Brother ~ Coping with Family Changes. Has your family gone through a big change? Perhaps a new person came into your life, or maybe someone moved out of your home. Tell or draw what happened.
Third, you will be asked to sign a release that allows me to use your child's entry to create an e-book and post it on my blog.
Fourth, since an e-book is an electronic book, you will need to send me your child's writing as a Word document. You will need a scanner to convert your child's art into a jpg that can be emailed. A link or an MP3 file of the audio may be sent.
This showcase is a great way to learn what’s on your child’s mind and offer supportive answers for their questions. I hope you will enjoy sharing with us the lessons your kids teach you.
Kids, start working on your art, audio, or writing now. You may send it to me between December 26, 2009 and January 25, 2010. I plan to have the e-book ready February 5 so you can give it as a Valentine’s gift!