Saturday, September 06, 2008

Types of Editing and Proofreading

Substantive editing, copy editing, and proofreading are terms we really need to define for authors. Many writers don't know that there are different types of editing levels. Feel free to chime in on this discussion by leaving comments.

Developmental or Substantial Editing
This editing service is used to coach or guide an author’s work to the next level by offering suggestions for improvement. We not only mark errors in the text, we assist you with making changes to strengthen your writing and develop your story or manuscript to its best potential. A developmental editor may rewrite some sections for you. We work with you on all elements of book development including front matter, back matter, and strengthening your writing.

Medium Copyediting
Our editor will go through your manuscript and complete the needed changes to include:

• Correcting mechanical, grammar, and usage errors.
• Correcting spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
• Check for proper alignment and spacing of text. 
• Mark and ask author to consistently format dates, headlines, numbers, and alphabetized, bulleted, and numbered lists.
• Note awkward transitions, redundancies, and hyperbole.
• Note any biased language or stereotyping.

The editor may query the author to clarify suggestions for improvement, and ask the author to rewrite some sections. We do not rewrite for you at this level of edit. We will proofread the entire document one time after the author has accepted or rejected all changes and returned to us a near-perfect document.

Light Copy Edit
We will mark or note the same things as outlined in the medium copy edit; however, the author is responsible for making all changes. We will proofread the entire document a second time after the author has accepted or rejected all changes and returned to us a near-perfect document.

Proofreading
Proofreader marks all technical errors and returns manuscript to the author as a digital document. The author is responsible for completing the suggested changes. 

Book Evaluation
One of our editors will read your book or manuscript (up to 70,000 words) and give a written assessment of its commercial potential. A kind but honest opinion of the author's strengths and weaknesses will be given along with tips for improving the overall quality of writing. The evaluation includes an assessment of the manuscript's publishing condition and what it would take to get it ready to submit to an agent or publisher.

3 comments:

NovelSong said...

Hi Ms. Yvonne. I'm an extremely new author (I'm 18 and a student at USC) and I've just recently finished my first book. I would love to learn more about the editing process and what is expected of me. I've finished and I don't know what to do now. I'm really frightened to move on, mostly because I don't have the finances and there are a lot of steps to consider. Needless to say that I'm lost. I would love some guidance.

NovelSong said...

Hello, Ms. Yvonne! I'm an extremely new author (I'm 18) and I would love to learn more about the editing process and what is expected of me. I have just finished my first book, but I feel very lost. I'm afraid to move on because I would love to have my book published, but I have a lot of options to consider and I would love to find an option that is affordable (I'm a student at USC) and will work closely with me. I would be very grateful for some advice.

Unknown said...

Hi, Azia. I'm no longer the owner of Writers in the Sky Creative Writing Services. Dana Micheli is the new owner and I'm sure she would be happy to help you with your query. I'll let her know to contact you.
Yvonne