Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Goal Setting for 2008

What a great time to turn over a fresh new leaf and experience the best year ever. How? By setting realistic goals with dates, a plan of action and an accountability partner.

My friend, Bernice and I worked together for five years. Neither of us wanted to work a desk job for the rest of our lives. She wanted to become a real estate agent. I wanted to become a freelance writer. Our strategy was well planned. We set goals to get the education, equipment, and resources in place while we still had our day jobs to fall back on. We paid off debt and reduced our monthly expenses. Then, we saved money for start up. During that year we were both taking college courses and she was also studying for the real estate exam. I was writing my first book. Several times each week we went to lunch together to give a report on where we stood in reaching our goals.

If one of us was whining about how hard it was, we would gently help the other get back on track mentally by repeating our goals and double-checking the time line. “Only three weeks left and this semester is over!” “How’s the book coming along? Did you write 10 pages like you said you would?” Tough love for sure, but it was worth it.

In 2003, we escaped from our corporate jobs within a month of one another. Bernice made the million-dollars sales club her rookie year and has continued to reach every goal she set—even organizing an event and running in a marathon for Susan B. Komen Foundation! My success was a little later coming because I had to learn everything the hard way. I had no idea that writing books with my own name on the cover would require that I spend everything I made trying to market the book. But, even by losing money on some ventures, I’ve gained an education that I value dearly.

In 2008, Bernice and I will again be meeting regularly to discuss our goals and hold one another accountable. I encourage you to find someone you trust and partner with them. You will both win in long run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great point! It's vital for writers to have a support structure, if only to stay on track. It can make the harder bits go so much smoother.