Thursday, November 29, 2007

White collar crime and fraud James Ross tells the story

James Ross is discussing his book Lifetime Loser--a book about white-collar crime, especially fraud in a small business. The setting is in a public golf course environment.

YVONNE: Tell me something about your writing background.
JAMES: Actually it was something that I always wanted to do but didn’t have the time or the story. Writing has always interested me so I thought that I would take it to the next level.

YVONNE: Is this the first book you have written?
JAMES: Yes.

YVONNE: How long did it take to write this book?
JAMES: Friends suggested that the story would make a good movie so I focused on that at the start. I wrote the screenplay and then hired a consultant to help me with that. After ten rewrites and eighteen months I asked him what would help the screenplay to sell. He answered……the book.

So I used the screenplay as my outline so to speak. It took about eight months to write the novel and then another fifteen months with rewrites, editing, and proofing.

YVONNE: How did you publish your book? Tell me about your publishing experience and what you learned from it.
JAMES: I self-published, which is about the only avenue available for first time authors. We’re at the marketing stage currently. I wish that my publisher would be a little more aggressive with their contacts, but I am finding out that they will if I come up with the marketing dollars.

YVONNE: Did you work with an agent? If so, how did you find the agent?
JAMES: No. Agents and production companies will not accept unsolicited material.

YVONNE: Where is your book(s) available? Do you have a Web site or blog where we can learn more about you or your book?
JAMES: It is available through Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Borders. I’ve been successful in getting it in the country club pro shops in the St. Louis area. It is also offered at the St. Louis airport as well as Pro Golf Discount.

Of course links to my publisher, Xlibris, and to the book title also are available.

YVONNE: As far as marketing, do you do more online publicity or print/radio/TV promotion? Tell me some ways you have promoted your book. Give examples and links to any sites you feel might help other authors.
JAMES: Currently most of our work is online. It is tough to get the local newspapers and media to cover a first time author.

YVONNE: Any other comments or things you would like for us to know?
JAMES: Writing a book has been a major accomplishment in my life and terribly rewarding. Making the book a successful seller is a different ballgame. That side of the business can be very frustrating.

YVONNE: Thank you for giving us the opportunity to get to know you and learn about your book. I wish you well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent interview, Yvonne and James!

Taryn Simpson
www.Taryn-Simpson.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You might enjoy Stolen Without a Gun which is a fabulous read. I will look into Lifetime Loser as well.

http://smartstartup.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/01/business-books.html