Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Interview with Minne E. Miller

Welcome to Writers in the Sky Blog. We are trying out a new feature on this blog in which we will interview authors and post their answers to my questions here. This is part of a strategic alliance between me (Yvonne Perry) and Sydney Molaré.

It is a pleasure to welcome Minnie E Miller and have her share with us today. Let’s begin with the questions most writers like to know about one another.

How did you get started writing? By that, I mean what inspired you to author a book?

~ Back in the day, I kept journals and worked in various PR companies that required some writing, but not as the sole writer. My ex-boss said my telephone messages were short stories.

Ha! I thought why not go further?

~ I became angry during the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings before Congress feeling that Ms. Hill was getting a raw deal, but also couldn’t ignore Supreme Court Justice Thomas’s accusations that he was being subjected to a “high tech lynching.” I felt both were being lynched on TV. I sent letters to the editor protesting their treatment. I have an extensive background in politics starting at age 21 to present. In addition, I received a deeper meaning of my muse under a very-English Professor at Chicago’s Roosevelt University. She was my principal supporter. I’ve traveled widely and still have many stories in my head as a result. Age and finances have had a dampening effect on my travels, for any reason, having reached 71. Yeah, I’m telling my age!

What is the title of your book? Give us the basic story line so we’ll know what it’s about.

~ The title of my last novel is “The Seduction of Mr. Bradley.” Bill Bradley is handsome, assertive and destined for success until he meets Cook. Jina Cook is elegant, self-assured and dangerous to Bill’s lifestyle. Despite a torrid love affair, billowing romance and the florid caresses of tenderness, a moment of truth—shoots it all to hell. He confesses his love for both his bisexual lover and Jina and turns their world upside down.

Is this the first book you have written?

~ Mr. Bradley is not my first book. I wrote “Catharsis” in 2003. Catharsis consists of three short stories—two of which are paranormal and one contemporary love story.

How long did it take to write this book?

~ I’m guessing but I think about six months to write “The Seduction of Mr. Bradley,” and maybe around the same time to write “Catharsis.”

How did you publish your book?

~ I self-published both books.

Did you work with an agent? If so, how did you find the agent?

~ I did not work with an agent.

Where is your book(s) available? Do you have a Web site or blog where we can learn more about you or your book?

~ So glad you asked. “The Seduction of Mr. Bradley” is on Amazon.com, Barnes&Nobles.com, www.justbookz.com, and through me at www.millerscribs.com. I have inventory in my apartment of both books. Last I looked, Barnes&Noble.com was still carrying “Catharsis.”My blog is www.msprissy-dreamweaver.blogspot.com/ and a myspace account at www.myspace.com/minnie_e. I offer interesting discussions and information on both blogs, and on my personal web site www.millerscribs.com. I enjoy sharing space with other authors and feature a guest-author monthly.

As far as marketing, do you do more online publicity or print/radio/TV promotion?

~ I do online publicity; I haven’t reached out to TV and radio.

Have you hired a publicist to help promote this book? Have you worked with a publicist on any of your books?

~ I have not worked with a publicist. I don’t have the money. I retired three years ago and published Mr. Bradley using part of my Social Security funds.

Any other comments or things you would like for us to know?

~ It has been a struggle with both works, but I wouldn’t change it for the world—unless I had more money, of course. Ha!

~ I must say that I feel that I’m caught in the middle of today’s book market. The fads are sex, urban lit, erotic romance and religion. As long as the publishing houses are raking in the money, it will continue. I write in none of these genres and will not. I strive for literature and believe that someday that market will come back. When it does, I’ll be ready. My favorite topics are tolerance and understanding humankind, love, children, politics, and vampires. Old fashion, yes. I write for the love of it. It is important to me that I leave a legacy for my kin and for African Americans. One last word to young writers, read, read, read. Okay, three words.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to get to know you and learn about your book. I wish you well.

~ Thank you for the opportunity to contribute.

Minnie E Miller

Sydney Molare' Books...Fiction that satisfies the soul... www.sydneymolare.com
Do you MySpace?
http://www.myspace.com/sydneymolare
http://blog.myspace.com/sydneymolare

No comments: