Monday, October 29, 2007

Check Your Sell-Your-Book Expertise with Carolyn's Quiz!

Every writer should know the answer to these or know how to find out :


1. What is the rule posted by most agents and publishers I can break in order to sell my book faster?

2. How can a style sheet help me edit my book or work better with my editor?

3. Why do I need to know about indexing?

4. How can I corral Word's Spell Checker to help rather than hinder my editing process?

5. Why is editing important to getting a publisher or an agent when my publisher's editor will help me with that anyway?

6. Why should I rarely send out a cover letter rather than a query letter?

7. Why should I avoid using italics for internal dialogue? How do you avoid using them for internal dialogue?

8. What perfectly natural and grammar-perfect thing should I avoid telling an agent?

9. How can I turn adverbs that slow my narrative into metaphors?

10. How can I purge my copy of passive constructions using a computer?

11. How can code words in my document help avoid humiliation?

12. How do I avoid superfluous quotation marks that annoy agents and editors?


If you don't know the answers to most every one of these 12 questions without peeking you are sure to benefit from the newly released book:


The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success available now on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978515870/


It's already rocketed to Amazon's Top Ten List in its category!


It should be sitting on your shelf right next to the award-winning* first in the HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't by UCLA Extension Writers' Program Instructor Carolyn Howard-Johnson


*Winner of USA Book News Best Professional Book 2004

*Winner of Book Publicists of Southern California's Irwin Award

1 comment:

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

What a great quiz, if I do say so myself! (-: Thank you, Yvonne. I hope many will avail themselves of this book. I know I wish I had a copy when I first came back to my writing career. And I know that even after many, many years of editing for newspapers, editing for authors, writing, etc. etc. that I learned lots new writing it. Ha!
Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
www.howtodoitfrugally.com