Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why Are People so Afraid of Me?

Let’s get this straight from the start. People aren’t afraid of me, the writer here. They’re afraid of “me” the pronoun.

Somehow, “me” has gotten a bad rap and writers and speakers everywhere are afraid of it. Instead, they tend to misuse the word “I” or, worse yet, “myself” when all they really need to use is the word “me.”

Think of it this way and you won’t be so afraid of “me.” “I” is a subject pronoun. Use it when it is the subject of the sentence.

Example: Jane and I are going to the store.

“Me” is an object pronoun. Use it when it is the object of the sentence.

Example: He doesn’t like Jane or me.

People think “I” is correct in most cases, but it isn't if it’s misused as a subject pronoun.

Correct: The clothes were washed by Jane and me.

Incorrect: The clothes were washed by Jane and I.

Now here’s where people are really, really afraid to use “me” and they misuse the word “myself” instead.

Correct: If you have questions, feel free to ask Debra or me.

Incorrect: If you have questions, feel free to ask Debra or myself.

Here’s the “rule” for use of the word myself:

Myself is a reflexive pronoun. That just means you MUST use the word “I” earlier in the sentence in order to use “myself.”

Here’s an example:

Correct: I hit myself in the head.

Incorrect: I hit me in the head.

Here’s another example (since most people have such a tough time with “myself”):

Correct: Mary gave the flowers to Susan and me.

Incorrect: Mary gave the flowers to Susan and myself.

Okay, so I hope these examples have lessened your fear of the word “me.”

Just remember - “Me” is an object pronoun, not a subject pronoun. In order to use “Myself” correctly, you must use “I” earlier in the sentence.

Now what’s so scary about that?

Nothing...right?

Suzanne Lieurance is a fulltime freelance writer, children's author, and The Working Writer's Coach. Visit her website at http://www.workingwriterscoach.com/ to find out more about her coaching program. http://www.lieurancegroup.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Suzanne_Lieurance

No comments: